조회 146 Views 작성일 23-11-24 15:09

본문

The 13th World Human Rights Cities Forum: Interview with Key Speakers

Mr. Sumastro

Mayor of Singkawang, Indonesia 

Interviewed by youth reporters CHOI Yunjeong and CHI Hyejun

296f052c79d95561720da88e894be059_1701162053_5144.jpg 
@photograph: WHRCF

Youth Reporter: What are you most looking forward to at this year’s forum?

Mr. Sumastro: During this year’s Human Rights Cities Forum in Gwangju, there are 5 things that I am focusing on and looking forward to. First, I am looking forward to the opportunity to share experiences with mayors and city leaders from different countries, trying to provide new insights and to better understand the different approaches to addressing human rights issues at the local level. Secondly, the forum can be a good place to strengthen partnerships and collaboration with other cities that have similar concerns about human rights. Third, I would expect there to be many learning sessions and discussion panels with a lot of speakers from different countries. Fourth, I will use this platform to promote human rights values in Singkawang and to encourage community participation. And the last, this forum can help extend international networks and relationships, so I can bring my city, Singkawang, to the global level in Korea. 

Youth Reporter: Do you have a message for the young generations with regard to the topic of this year’s forum?

Mr. Sumastro: It is a very important question, The young generation is the owner of the future and the current leadership. What youth are doing today is an investment, and will determine the future of human rights. The youth should spread good and new ideas. In this forum, they have many opportunities to meet face-to-face with youth from different countries, and talk about how to make a better future around the world.

Youth Reporter: What does your city most heavily consider related to the human rights agenda or are there some specific endeavors going on in accordance with it?

Mr. Sumastro: I think the most important thing to consider is how to give youth and community ways to easily communicate with each other and find mutual understanding, as well as to avoid counterproductive behavior and give solutions to solve the problems. I think the most important points are communication and mutual understanding. Paying close attention to whether there is any conflict situation in the city is important, too.

Youth Reporter: According to the current international order, what would be the most important human rights issue that we need to pay attention to?

Mr. Sumastro: I think, from the government's side, we should facilitate every stakeholder to easily discuss and make a conversation to solve the problems, should they arise. When there is discussion, every problem is easy to solve.

Youth Reporter: What is the most important message that you wish to convey during the speech in the round table?

Mr. Sumastro: For the session, I tried to give some ideas on how to look at tolerance in every situation. Tolerance is related to how we harmonize our lives within different backgrounds and different ethnicities. Based on my experience in my city, Singkawang, which has been named the most tolerant city in Indonesia for 4 times over the past 6 years, if a city is tolerant, it is easy to attract tourism and investment. It is what helped my city to develop economic and social welfare in Singkawang.

Youth Reporter: What is your impression of visiting Gwangju for the forum?

Mr. Sumastro: It is my first time visiting Korea and it's an honor to be here as a speaker. Also, it’s an honor to have a conversation with majors from different countries. I think Gwangju Metropolitan City is a very beautiful, clean city and everyone here is very nice. Also, it seems they respect each other and also, of course, human rights.